St. Paul District to Christen Towboat Warren
The Towboat Warren is part of a new district dredging fleet that also includes the Dredge Goetz and the Quarters Barge Taggatz. This fleet is replacing the Corps’ Dredge Thompson, and will be used to maintain 850 miles of the Upper Mississippi River, 355 miles of the Illinois River and 24 miles of the St. Croix River.
The towboat is named in honor of the district’s first engineer and commander, General Gouverneur Kemble Warren. Warren, a West Point graduate, was tasked with opening the St. Paul District and conducting preliminary surveys of the main river and its tributaries in 1866. He acquired the district’s first floating plant – a dredge and snag boat – for creating and maintaining a four-foot low-water channel between St. Paul and St. Louis, and authorized the construction of the first wing and closing dams in the district. Warren was also a Civil War hero who distinguished himself at the Battle of Little Round Top in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.